Thanksgiving is almost upon us! I adore Thanksgiving because I adore food, family, pies, Black Friday shopping & being thankful for all those things! Amen?
Amidst all the pies, we typically have a “kid-friendly” dessert as well. Something simple like brownies or cupcakes, but it’s always fun to kick it up a level for the holiday. So I decided i wanted to make some plaid & turkey brownies! It’s super easy, just thought I’d share for any last minute inspiration seekers out there!
Step 1- Bake some brownies, any kind. I used a box mix. My grandmother brought me roughly 10,000 boxes of brownie mix, so we’ll have brownies forever. Thanks Grandma!
Step 2- Once the brownies have cooled, use a turkey cookie cutter to cut turkeys out of the brownies. Or cut squares for plaid brownies.
**Tip- Use a plastic knife for perfect, non-crubbly edges.
Step 3- Make icing of your choice, or buy it already made! I whipped up some cream cheese icing using a block of cream cheese, 4 c. powdered sugar & 1 tsp. vanilla. I’ll have the printable recipe at the end of this post.
Step 4- Divide icing into multiple bowls- dependent upon how many colors you’d like to use.
Step 5- Mix desired food coloring into bowls.
Step 5- Spoon colored icing into baggies for easy piping. Be sure to snip off a tiny bit at the tip.
Step 6- Ice the brownies! Start with an “x” for the eyes & a larger “x” on each foot.
Step 7- Add the feathers by creating short, tight loops along the length of the turkey’s backside
For the plaid brownies, use the same icing bags & create lines going multiple ways across the brownies.
Then add more layers of colored lines until you are happy with the outcome! Top with sprinkles if desired.
Love my turkeys! They got all gobbled up. You could easily put together some simple toothpick flags that said “gobble gobble” for even more fun!
- Brownies (prepared & baked)
- 1-8 oz. block of cream cheese (softened)
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- various food coloring
- Bake brownies & cool.
- Use a turkey cookie cutter to cut turkeys out of the brownies. Or cut squares for plaid brownies.
- Prepare icing by beating cream cheese, powdered sugar & vanilla together. If icing is too thin add another 1/2 c. powdered sugar. If too thick, add milk, 1 tsp. at a time.
- Divide icing into multiple bowls- dependent upon how many colors you’d like to use.
- Mix desired food coloring into bowls.
- Spoon colored icing into baggies for easy piping. Be sure to snip off a tiny bit at the tip.
- Ice the brownies! Start with an “x” for the eyes & a larger “x” on each foot.
- Add the feathers by creating short, tight loops along the length of the turkey’s backside.
- Create stripes on the square brownies.
- With another color, add another set of stripes crossways.
- Continue making more stripes until desired effect is achieved.
By the way, here’s the DIY for this adorable plaid cake stand!
PS- Linking up at some of my fave places, check ’em out!