I adore simple dishes that are astonishingly delicious, like my Chicken & Gravy. I’m not necessarily a plain food kinda gal, but this recipe surprised me! I love it when I’m disappointed by reading the ingredients, but pleasantly surprised by the end result. Those no effort, short ingredient meals that actually turn out tasting good are the best! It is one my mother-in-law’s usual go to’s & it’ll be perfect to warm up in the coming months. I couldn’t wait to try it for myself so I made it the other night & we ate it all up!
To whip this yummy dish up yourself, you’ll need pork chops (bone-in preferred), salt, cayenne, black pepper, butter, onions, garlic, beef stock & chicken stock.
First, you’ll throw together a homemade seasoning mixture blending the salt, cayenne & pepper together.
Next, you prepare your chops by smothering them in the seasoning with a heavy hand, both sides. Brown those in the skillet first, then seat aside & move to the veggies.
By veggies I mean onions & garlic. The unbeatable duo of flavor. The majority of my recipes start with this I’m happy to admit. You’re gonna sauté them in some extra butter & the pork juices till they’re beautifully browned.
Quick! Cook a tablespoon of flour into the onions. Now pour in the broths- beef & chicken, or just pork if you happen to keep that on hand.
Lookin’ good already! Stir the broth & onions together for a minute, then lay the pork chops on top. Cover the pan tightly with foil & transfer to a 400 degree oven to finish cooking.
When cooked through, remove from oven & pull back foil. Inhale slowly.
Serve pork chops with onion gravy on top over a bed of plain white rice, or mashed potatoes. You could even do it over egg noodles. We had it over white rice cause it’s my husband’s favorite. But, mashed potatoes are my favorite & we may eat it that way next time! I served cheesy cauliflower alongside it.
Here’s the printable recipe.
- 4 pork chops (bone-in preferred),
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs flour
- 3/4 c beef stock
- 3/4 c chicken stock
- **OR 1+1/2 c pork stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine salt, cayenne & black pepper.
- Use all of seasoning mixture to cover both sides of each pork chop. Feel free to add more cayenne for extra heat.
- Melt 1 Tbs butter in large ovenproof skillet. Brown pork chops on both sides, 2-3 mins per side over high heat. Remove pork chops from pan & set aside.
- Melt remaining Tbs of butter in skillet. Saute’ onions & garlic in butter over medium-high heat until translucent & browned on edges, about 5 mins.
- Add flour to browned onions & cook for just a minute until it disappears.
- Pour in stocks & stir together.
- Place pork chops back into skillet & remove from heat.
- Cover pan tightly with foil & bake at 400 degrees F until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
PS- Linking up at some of my fave places, check ’em out!