This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UncleBens #FlavorInfusions #CollectiveBias
A few weeks ago, I found myself at my parent’s house around dinnertime. My mom was making Ethiopian cabbage & my sister in law was raving about it’s deliciousness. I was super skeptical toward the meal, the entire thing was an unappetizing bright yellow/greenish color (thanks to the turmeric). I put the smallest spoonful on my plate & was utterly amazed y’all! I went back to fill my bowl all the way up! It is SO GOOD! I couldn’t keep it to myself, so here I am sharing the recipe! It’s more than cabbage too; chicken & potatoes round out the dish & it’s best served over Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusion rice! Scroll through for the recipe!
I was so excited to pairUncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Chicken & Herb rice with the Ethiopian cabbage! The flavors of the rice make for a wonderful combo! There are five new, yummy flavors of Flavor Infusions! These special packages don’t require flavor packets, as each grain of rice has been infused with herbs & spices already. Plus, the packaging is re-sealable so you don’t need to cook it all at once!
To make this at home- start by sautéing onions & garlic in a whole lot of olive oil & add in the seasonings- turmeric, cumin, salt & pepper. Begin browning the chicken in a separate pan at the same time. Chop & add in cabbage letting it cook for 20 minutes. StartUncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Chicken & Herb rice. Dice the potatoes, add to the cabbage, turn the heat down & cover, cooking for another 20 minutes. Add cooked chicken to the cabbage mixture.
Serve large helpings of the Ethiopian cabbage overUncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Chicken & Herb rice.
This is a great, well-rounded meal for busy weeknights. The whole thing is cooked on the stovetop so you don’t even need the oven! You can even prep most everything ahead of time, which is what I love about it! I am a big meal-prepper.
Print the recipe below.
- 2 chicken breast, chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 c + 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 c Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Chicken & Herb
- 2 c water
- 2 Tbs butter
- In a large pan over med-high heat, add 1/2 c olive oil. Sauté sliced onions till transparent. Add the turmeric, cumin, salt & pepper. Add minced garlic.
- Add in sliced cabbage & cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a separate pan & add diced chicken breast. Season if desired, not required. Brown both sides & cook until done. Set aside.
- Add potatoes to the cabbage, lower heat, cover & cook for another 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add water, rice & butter to medium pot. Bring pot to a boil, cover & reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken to the cabbage mixture.
- Serve large helpings of Ethiopian cabbage over Uncle Ben’s® Chicken & Herb rice.
- Prep this meal ahead of time by cooking the chicken, chopping the veggies & cooking the rice.
You can find Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusion rice in the Chicken & Herb flavor, as well as other flavors, & all the other ingredients for this meal at your local Walmart! I found Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusion rice on the rice & pasta aisle.
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later! —>