I think this is actually considered a semi-naked cake, or a frosted naked cake…not the classic, so don’t be mad!
Anyhow, my sister-in-law hosted a bridal shower for her sister over the weekend & I offered to help, because I just can’t stay away from a party for 1 single weekend! That included making this naked cake! She was planning on getting one from a bakery, but when she told me the price for a naked cake I was sure we could do it ourselves for MUCH cheaper.
If I can do this, you can do this!
**I AM NOT A CAKE DECORATOR! I AM HORRIBLE AT DECORATING CAKES!
But I can do a naked cake any day! The entire purpose of this cake is to be MESSY! (I’m just feeling all these CAPS today y’all, go with it please). Like, literally, I had the cake in 2 pieces in the car & the top layer smashed into the bottom layer (despite my oh-so-careful driving) & it wasn’t even messed up! The cake went flying & it still turned out like this! I smoothed out the ruined spots & it wasn’t ruined anymore, it was perfect. The only way you could possibly mess this cake up is if it didn’t taste good & that’s hard to do with cake.
I’m going to share EXACTLY how I threw thing together step-by-step & share my Facebook live video putting the top layer together.
DIY NAKED CAKE
- Bake cakes. I used 4 boxed cake mixes to bake 3 round 9″ cakes & 3 round 5″ cakes. PS- Add a box of pudding mix to your box of cake mix for the most moist cake ever. No milk, just the dry mix. Toss it right in before mixing. Let cool completely.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to trim the layers. They need to be as even as possible & have a flat bottom & top. They need to be as level as possible. BONUS- Save the scraps for cake balls!
- 3. Wrap layers in plastic wrap individually & freeze for a while, 6 hours or overnight-as long as possible.
- Prepare the icing, if using homemade. **Recipe below. Prepare any other fillings (I sliced up strawberries).
- Remove cake layers from the freezer & unwrap.
- Smear the cake stand or plate with a bit of icing. Place 1st layer on top. Add icing over cake & spread evenly. Add sliced strawberries or any other filling; careful to leave a inch around the edges. Cover filling with another layer of icing, if applicable.
- Place 2nd layer on top, add icing, spread & continue with 3rd layer.
- Start pulling icing from top of cake down the sides using the spreader. Add more icing as necessary.
- Use icing spreader to add icing until cake is even on all sides. Once covered, use icing spreader to remove icing from around the cake layers. PS- This will take some practice & work to get a look you like.
- When you are happy with the look place bottom layer in fridge. Start with the top 3 layers & repeat steps.
- Place top layer in the middle of the bottom layer. Touch up as needed. Store in the fridge until event. Add florals.
This is the buttercream cream cheese icing recipe I used. —>
- 4 sticks of butter, softened
- 1- 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 1/2 T milk
- Cream together butters & cream cheese. Mix in vanilla & milk. Gradually add in powdered sugar. Mix until creamy & fluffy. Store in fridge until ready for use.
FACEBOOK LIVE DEMO-
I’d love to see your naked cakes! Post a photo to our Facebook page if you make one!
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later! —>
PS- Linking up at my fave places!