Good Monday Morning! What better way to start the week than with tacos! Am I right?
I suppose this post might have made more sense for a “Taco Tuesday,” but I just couldn’t wait another day to share the deliciousness of this simple casserole! I am a MAJOR casserole lover & a HUGE Mexican food fan. My husband also loves tacos. He could eat them everyday. So this recipe is now on our favorites list!
Assuming the weather will eventually start cooling down over the next couple months, this will be a great warm-your-belly dinner! Since it’s just the 2 of us eating, I will typically freeze half of the casserole for us to eat later. If you’re feeding a bigger family, double it! I love stocking these kinds of meals in the freezer for an easy dinner during the fall/winter months. I’m actually planning a big cooking day to do a whole bunch of “casserole-ly” type dishes that freeze well next month. That way I am stocked up on homemade dinner I can pull out for the busy holiday season. It may sound crazy now, but if I don’t start planning ahead for the holidays (now), I won’t be able to make the most of it- both business wise & memorable family time wise. If I prep now, I may even have a chance to relax during the month of December, which is always my main goal!
Anyways, you all came here for a Taco Casserole recipe, not some holiday pep-talk in August! (But if you want that, check out my holiday-prep guide here!) Moving on…
You’ll need the typical taco ingredients- ground beef or turkey, taco seasoning of choice, black beans, tortillas, salsa, corn, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chopped onion & fresh cilantro.
Start by browning your meat & onions…then add black beans, corn, salsa & sour cream to the pan. Warm it all up.
Spray a baking dish & begin layering- like a taco lasagna…tortilla strips, meat mixture, cheese, tortilla strips, meat mixture, cheese, till you run out. I did 3 layers perfectly.
Bake until the top is bubbly & cheese is perfectly melted!
Grab a big ole spoon & dig in y’all! Top with anything & everything! Fresh cilantro is a MUST. I also like fresh lime juice. I would’ve preferred guacamole, but had no avocados. You can add extra cheese, a spoonful of sour cream, more hot sauce, green sauce, ranch dressing, crunchy tortilla chips, pico de gallo, etc. Whatever you prefer!
Grab the printable recipe here!
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning of choice
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 6 tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 c salsa
- 1 c corn
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 c cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- Toppings: fresh cilantro, limes, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, pico de gallo, etc
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brown ground beef or turkey over medium-high heat with onions until no longer pink.
- Add black beans, salsa, corn & sour cream to pan. Simmer & stir until ingredients are warm & combined.
- Grease a baking dish. Layer tortilla strips, meat mixture then shredded cheese. Continue until out of ingredients (about 3 layers of each).
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted & browned.
- Serve immediately & garnish with taco toppings.
- Freezes well!
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later! —>
Blessings & Tacos Y’all!
PS- Linking up at some of my fave places!